Monday, June 25, 2007

Happy Birthday, Hunter....


Saturday was Robert Hunter's 66th birthday.
"The Word Man" as he was called...Okay, he was never called that, I just called him that right now, perhaps for the first time ever. But, a word man, he was.

He wrote the lyrics to some(most?) of the Grateful Dead's most famous(and infamous-"Keep Your Day Job" anyone ?) songs.

Ripple
Uncle John's Band
China Cat Sunflower
Row Jimmy
Shakedown Street
Black Muddy River
Friend Of The Devil
Standing On The Moon
And, my favorite- "Box Of Rain".



I won't pretend to be some sort of expert on the man- I love his words. He is a great turner of phrases.

" Tumble down shack in BigFoot county
Snowed so hard that the roof caved in
Delilah Jones went to meet her god,
And the old man never was the same again."



"All the things I planned to do
I only did halfway
Tomorrow will be Sunday
Born of rainy Saturday"


I guess I don't have much else to add.


Happy belated birthday. Mr. Hunter.

No comments: