Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Happy Birthday, Anthem Of the Sun !!



Anthem Of The Sun was released on this date, 39 years ago.

Track List for the 2003 Reissue


1."That's It for the Other One" – 7:40:
"Cryptical Envelopment (Garcia)
"Quadlibet for Tender Feet (Garcia, Kreutzmann, Lesh, McKernan, Weir)
"The Faster We Go, The Rounder We Get" (Kreutzmann, Weir)
"We Leave the Castle" (Constanten)
2. "New Potato Caboose" (Lesh, Petersen) – 8:26
3. "Born Cross-Eyed" (Weir) – 2:04
4. "Alligator" (Lesh, McKernan, Hunter) – 11:20
5. "Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)" (Garcia, Kreutzmann, Lesh, McKernan, Weir) – 9:37

Bonus Tracks
6. "Alligator" (live) (Lesh, McKernan, Hunter) – 18:43
7. "Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)" (live) (Garcia, Kreutzmann, Lesh, McKernan, Weir)-11:38
8. "Feedback" (live) (Grateful Dead) – 4:01
9. "Born Cross-Eyed" (single version) (Weir) – 2:55

Again, this is not one of my favorite Dead records. It's kinda cool, and the fact that they melded studio and live material together is groovy, for sure, but it's not a disc I give a lot of spins. Which is not so much a knock on it, but more a personal taste thing, I think.

It is the first record with Tom Consanten on it, and it is the recording session that produced the somewhat legendary request for the sound of "thick air" by Bobby, which I believe is mentioned in Phil's book(Searching For the Sound).

I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about the recording techniques or anything else, so I will keep this fairly brief. I just wanted something to write about, and I wanted to wish Anthem of The Sun a very happy birthday !!

No comments: