Thursday, July 26, 2007

17 Years Ago...


Brent Mydland passed away.
As I have said before, he was my favorite keyboardist for the Grateful Dead(all due respect to Pig, Keith,TC, Bruce, and Vince).
I can remember hearing that he died and my heart kind of breaking. I remember listening to "I Will Take You Home" and crying a bit. It was just so sad.It did break my heart.
I don't want to go on and on and get all maudlin, i just wanted to acknowledge the anniversary of this very sad day.
Here's a link to Brent's final show with the band.
R.I.P. Brent, I hope you found some peace, brother. I do miss you.

1 comment:

Zoooma said...

Man, I remember the day... living in the NYC suburbs and listening to WNEW, they pretty much, for the most part, had 3 GD songs they played regularly -- Truckin', Casey Jones, & Touch Of Grey... then comes July 26 and they're playin' I Will Take You Home and Far From Me and We Can Run and etc, etc.

So many of us had just him on that pretty freakin' sweet Summer Tour. One of the greatest times of my life!!! I wasn't at the Tinley shows but saw D.C., Foxboro, Rich Stadium, and the two at Deer Creek... 5 damn sweet shows in a row! And then a week later kickin' back during the summertime with friends and (when I was a stupid young man) cheap beer in good ol' northern Jersey, along comes day that just sucked the life out of me. I don't remember crying but when WNEW had spent enough time tributizing Brent, I sat by the stereo and kept hittin' Play on Brent tunes for hours.

Now we've got another day coming up. Oh joy.